Warner Bros. Already Planning Batman Reboot for 2016?

Posted on August 2, 2012
by
under News
7 Comments

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

100 times NO!

The Dark Knight Rises hasn’t been in theaters for two weeks and already we are hearing of reboots. GIVE ME A BREAK.

The guys over at Cosmic Book News claim a source at Warner Bros. are planning to reboot Batman after Man of Steel and the Justice League movie.

Hit the jump for quotes from said source and more info!

Why tinker with greatness?

The source goes on to says:

“It will not be an origin story, but will feature a Batman who is entering his second year as a hero. The film may also be called The Batman, though I can’t be sure on that as the 2004 animated series was of the same title which featured a Batman in his third year.”

I don’t even want to begin to speculate the validity of this source and story because it’ll only make me and other fans angry. What Christopher Nolan has done in his trilogy is unprecedented. That’s not a massive fan speaking, that’s simply truth.

If we look into the 2004 animated series that is mentioned by the source the story centers around a 26 year-old Bruce Wayne, some villains in the series are Rupert Thorne, The Joker, The Penguin, Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, Firefly , Ventriloquist and Scarface, Man-Bat, Cluemaster, and Bane.

So go ahead and take your pick at which you want to see.

I wouldn’t put too much stock into this, but I’m not happy about it.

Remember to LIKE us on Facebook.

7 Responses to “Warner Bros. Already Planning Batman Reboot for 2016?”

1. Christine
    August 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I can’t imagine anyone doing better than Nolan with realistic Batman. The only way I can see this going is back to a more comic book styled Batman like Tim Burton’s. While some people may prefer it, I think it’ll be harder for the rest of us to swallow. Going from a dark adaptation to something more campy is going to feel like a joke. However, not everyone is a fan of what Nolan has done to Batman. They feel like the essence of the Batman mythology was lost in his films. I’ll quote what someone else said, “Nolan’s Batman is like Law & Order, with super-villains.”

• David Berov
      August 2, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Christine, I completely agree that It’ll be harder for us to stomach. It’s going to be impossible to just cast aside Nolan’s trilogy and accept a new one with no standards. You’d have to go into it with no expectations and I don’t think that is feasible.

2. Adam
    August 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM

In what way is this surprising or bad news? Nolan’s films were magnificent, but they’re not the be-all, end-all of Batman on film. They’re one great example of a fine interpretation, but there is still so much that couldn’t work in Nolan’s films, and a reboot is a great choice to deliver stories and characters that wouldn’t work with his take on the story.

This article is really sad. The author is too biased to the Nolan films and completely unaccepting of another take on the character.

• David Berov
      August 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM

This is not surprising or bad news. My reaction was simply based on the timing and the direction of the new film BASED ON THE SOURCE provided. We at ATC have been aware of a Batman reboot dating back to March of 2011 when a Justice League movie was announced with a new Batman.

We, along with studios never let films breathe, and soak in. If it’s successful then automatically lets do more or reboot the franchises. Saying the Nolan films are not the end all be all is true, but they are WITHOUT A DOUBT the standard for superhero films, now and going forward. I don’t believe an argument could be made otherwise.

The best part about Batman and the comics that tell his story is the fact that there are indeed many stories to tell. In that case you are indeed correct. But, it seems like based on the source it’s going to it’s comic book routes, no longer a very serious, dark and mature telling. That is something that will be very hard to grasp for the public and Batman fans alike.

3. Christine Liaw
    August 2, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I would love to see a balance of the darkness and the comic book…something like the Watchmen. I love Nolan’s series but I miss the iconic Batman and Gotham City.

4. Louis
    August 3, 2012 at 12:37 AM

The author was in no way, shape, or form, biased. Nolan has made a nearly perfect trilogy. I for one, am sad to see it end and completely agree with the author that Nolan did amazing work and that 2016 seems to be a little too soon, even with the whole Justice League deal.

Yes, it was an interpretation and there will be others. There are ways to make Nolan’s concepts blend with more comic-booky Batman concepts. You can do a dark story, while at the same time, make it more like the comics. Batman: The Animated Series from the 90′s is a clear cut example which many consider the be the best interpretation of Batman ever made.

I am open to seeing how someone else can do this, especially if they can do it like that TV show and incorporate dark elements to villians we may have never seen in Nolan’s world (i.e. Mr. Freeze). Just stay away from Schumacer territory by all means please! Nolan did great and made his mark. A reboot will happen in 2016 and a reboot of that new series will happen in 2026. Just seems all too soon.

Bravo again Mr. Nolan and thank you.

5. MithrandirOlorin
    August 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

The Reboot should revolve around Robin’s origin, and I’d call it “The Caped Crusader”